8 Healthy Tips for Our Gym & Fitness Peeps
This holiday and like many others, you are most likely faced with extra holiday treats, get together with family & friends and possibly planning a getaway if you are lucky enough to enjoy a long weekend. Here are some simple holiday tips to stay on track with your fitness goals.
1. Start with a healthy breakfast. It’s the most important meal of the day and you may not be able to control what’s served on the brunch or dinner table but you can certainly control what you eat when you wake up. Try a smoothie or oatmeal to get your body filled with good nutrients.
2. Drink Plenty of Water. An ideal amount is half your body weight in ounces. Try infusing fresh fruit or veggies slices in your water for a refreshing detoxing and digestion adding beverage.
3. Eat whole eggs as part of your meal. Real eggs are a great source of protein and rich in vitamins. Get the kids involved during the week with egg dying and painting providing beautiful hard boiled eggs to enjoy for breakfast Easter morning.
4. Go heavy on the veggies. Before diving in to the basket of treats try going for the veggies or salad. The fiber will fill you up, so you are less likely to overindulge.
5. Take it slow on the sweets. After you’ve filled up on veggies and your meal, limit yourself to only one treat a day. While its easy to grab the handful and eat a full bag…slow down and enjoy it!
6. Give non-chocolate gifts instead. Why not a good book, flowers, toy or some special event to go to with someone? You’ll both enjoy it and have lasting memory.
7. Make exercise a part of your day. Why not have a scavenger hunt, a bike ride, walk or egg hunt and stay active together with family and friends.
8. Lastly, watch your portion sizes. Fill your plate with veggies, go easy on the carbs and keep your portion to a fist size serving. And go light on the dessert afterwards.